Thursday 6 September 2012

On Purging

Modern Closet by La Branĉaro

Modern Closet, a photo by La Branĉaro on Flickr.
I've been thinking about purging (of wardrobes, I mean).

I seem to do it every year. As much as the motives behind my purging are generally good (to reduce clutter, get a better idea of what clothing I actually need to buy...), I have been a little ashamed of myself, lately, that I can do it on a yearly basis-- it doesn't seem to be sticking.

When I purge, I usually end up getting rid of clothing for two reasons: a) it no longer fits or is no longer fit to wear (falling apart, stained, etc.) or b) it never fit or I was never really happy wearing it. The first reason is quite legitimate, although I hope to reduce the need to purge clothing that's wearing out by buying higher quality. The second reason? Not okay. I mean, yes, we all make shopping mistakes. But in a part of the world where mental and physical clutter abound and waste and self-indulgence are the name of the shopping game for many people, I think I need to push myself harder to be really honest with myself when making clothing purchases. Am I buying this because I need it or just because I feel like having something new? Does this really suit me and is it versatile enough to wear with the rest of my wardrobe? Does it fit me? No, really, does it actually flatter my figure or am I just playing the wishful thinking game; face it, Avery, you had a baby, you are no longer a candidate for extra-small items. Heck, small is pushing it.*

Since starting the October Dress Project, I feel like I've been unlearning a lot of bad shopping habits. I wish I hadn't learned these bad habits in the first place, but I'm grateful for the oppourtunity to learn to shop with more restraint and conscientiousness, and to share the experience with a community of other women who are excited about learning to think in a new way about clothes.

So tell me, how often do you purge? Do you wish you were doing it less, or more? Any other thoughts?

*On an interesting side note, I read recently that women tend to buy clothing in the size they wish they were instead of in the size they are. Silly women! But I know I've been guilty of this.

1 comment:

  1. a great question. I purge pretty often. i am constantly buying clothes that are low quality or dont fit me right OR i am given clothing by others. i find i usually try to just make something work and then regret it very quickly

    ReplyDelete